Saturday, November 10, 2007

death, this is your cousin sleep

in the not so distant past i had the sleep was not a necessity for me. for the first three years of my collegiate life i was able to live on an average of three to four hours of sleep night.

this remarkable super power was one that only seemed to intensify when i got to england during the spring of my junior year and learned that if i put my mind to it i could function of one to two hours. sure i was sick a lot of the time (although nothing compared to the previous fall, where my mom once found me sprawled out on the bathroom floor my undershirt sprinkled with blood and a big ol chunk of my lungs lying near my armpit., but i was never ever tired. this is a time where my life consisted of the following activities:
  1. drinking newcastle
  2. eating cornish pasties (and proposing to the beautiful bjorns who made them)
  3. drinking lots of tesco value liquor
really all of these are activities that should have sapped me of any and all energy my body may have possessed or at least made me a fat retarded mess. instead i lost 30 pounds and felt more energized than i ever had in my life before. it was a weird course of events, but it was one that reminded me of my post human abilities.

anyway back to what i was initially writing about (i will celebrate times in the eastern racist chav-ridden bloc of england another time), when i got back from england i continued this way of living. id been able to get by on it for five months, so i saw no reason to change my ways, especially if i was enjoying myself. the things was that i sort of took it to a whole new levels. an exponentially new level. three and four days would go by without me sleeping. nights were spent sprinting back and forth between here and the outskirts of Los Angeles county and a jet propulsion laboratory. all the while i kept to my commitments (even if i was constantly an hour or two late, for reason completely unrelated to my sleeping habits).

by the end of the summer i was becoming more and more convinced that i was about to transcend being and becoming a human entity free of any basic needs. my life would be one that could be dedicated to nothing but reading pynchon, contemplating (and looking to hard for) the narratives of my favorite sports, and naked girlies. it was going to be amazing.

but alas shit rarely turns out as we expect it and shortly after the summer to end all summers i found myself in desperate need of some rest. every morning i was exhausted, my body aching as i ever so slowly swung my legs off of my bed and walked across my charmingly gray and dilapidated crack house towards the decrepit closet we used as our bathroom. all in all it sucked. i was sleeping more than ever before (first four to five hours, then six, and finally between eight and nine hours a night) but it wasnt doin shit. i was tired as fuck and things werent going any better.

this leads me to this morning and the initial impetus for this scrawling. this morning i woke up at the crack of 8am, extricated myself from bed, and realized that although i had work i felt...well rested. i felt alright. good even. my body was not the normal creaking jalopy i was used to, but a much improved and fuel efficient asian economy vehicle. and really is there much more that you can ask for besides that?

this also makes me wonder what super powers im about to get back.

No comments: