Thursday, January 10, 2008

an open letter to Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler


My dear Mrs. Frankweiler,



I've got no friends in this city.

Since my expulsion and subsequent exile from Princeton, I have wandered these storied streets in a self-imposed bubble, one unpermeated by all but the most essential individuals. Why is this? What, exactly, is my problem with all my old school chums? I liked them well enough then, and, upon reflection, I like them well enough now. But there's something in me that keeps them at bay--or maybe me at bay.

I can't quite put my finger on it; maybe I'm trying to prove something, to myself, or to them, or to the world. That I can rebuild myself, from scratch, as I would have liked myself to be; without input of those who knew me when, I am free to create, to dash paint on the canvas, smoke French cigarettes, and drink Campari from a glass decorated with little prints of dogs.

But I worry that it's more than that. Surely there are elements of what I described above occurring, but I fear that perhaps I didn't like any of those people at all, really. Or perhaps they've disappointed me. Or perhaps--perhaps I'm afraid that they will come to disappoint me in time. It seems that most have.

Am I doomed to live my days alone? For whom will I purchase rounds of drinks? With whom shall I frequent the cinema? These and other questions haunt me.

Do you suppose I am merely stricken with some late-blooming angst? Perhaps it's just some good old fashioned clinical depression; I shall increase my Campari dosage immediately.

I await your reply with eagerness and impatience.


Your old friend,
James Tibolt Pterodactylus

No comments: