Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Excited for Life


Do you know anyone who ever slipped on a banana peel?

This question occurred to me as I was walking to work today, eating a...wait for it...banana! In the not so distant past I played the role of a child in the latter quarter of the previous century. Like kids from this time period I watched a lot of cartoons. Because of this some of my most cherished memories are in two dimensions, and one of the ones that sticks out most is that of a character (make of them what you will; male, female, skinny, fat, tall, short, etc.) chasing after an elusive scoundrel until their right or left foot comes down on a conveniently discarded banana peel. What happens next is something we all remember. The character slides forward, a look of utter confusion in their eyes, and then launches up into the air end over end, flipping once or twice and finally coming down with a cloud of stars and a boom!

Sadly this memory is one that I have never seen replicated in real life, but I would like to someday. The thing is, like most of the things I came to believe while playing a child, I doubt there is much of a chance of it actually ever happening. It's a sad thing, but them's the breaks kid.

Fuck. I don't know why I wrote that.

In other news I'm still wondering if its better to be rock 'n roll or punk rock. Any thoughts? Normally I'd be on the side of punk rock, but in my advancing years I just don't know anymore. More and more it seems that rock 'n roll will allow me to do what I really want to do, get down and dirty. Which kind of girls age better? That's probably the better question.

Before I go rumor has it that Minxie's extended absence from the blog is more a result of surgery than wanting to spend time with his family for the holiday. It's all hogwash if you ask me. But those few of you that love Dartmouth, fret not. I hear he's coming back in a new and improved (and slightly more feminine) form.

No comments: