Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Parcheesi Fever!!!

Man's soul may well be a worthless cesspool of envy and hate (especially during the Holidays) but I am not here tonight to dally in the heavy in some vain attempt to make meaning out of the meaningless. I'll leave that to the pro's or Henry Miller, whichever you prefer. Rather, like a scared turtle I suck my heads, feet, and tongue-like turtle penis into my shell's cozy confines, laying prostrate at the alter of trivialities. 

What is friendship? When a man loves a woman? When a man seeks someone to eat Nachos with? The natural occurrence when one becomes sick to death of heaving a football into the air, watching it die in the horizon, before having to run after it them-self. 

I have a lot of friends. I like them. I hope they like me. Our company is mutually enjoyed in a drunken whirl of reveling laugh tracks. I watch Nico try to eat an Apple or predict Nick's actions a week before they come and rejoice in my good fortune of finding these people. So they are good people? Is that it? No. It must be more. It all out has to be. 

Well. If friendship has a definition I'd liktatink I stumbled upon it tonight in the form of Parcheesi--the once royal game of India played by kings with servants as pawns, and now a cash cow for the good people at Parker Brothers. 

I settled in a margarita, Nick, and his A-OK lady for a game. I am not the strategic sort but managed a blockade early in the game. As I moved my two red pawns together I checked the faces of my counterparts and denoted a certain wariness in his eyes. In this moment, this flicker of shared understanding, we both knew how the game would unfold. Our friendly fireplace game would become...THE WORST GAME OF PARCHEESI EVER PLAYED! 

I kept my blockade up for fifteen minutes. The game screeched to a halt and between my Belichekian ruthlessness and Nick's commandeering of Jillian's pieces we managed to stalemate the game for fifteen minutes. When we rolled the die, regardless of outcome, we'd have to say "pass". 

It was a beautiful thing. One Nick will forever be upset about. 

No comments: