Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Here and Nowhere: An Introduction


To Whom It May Concern:

I am a figment of your imagination. I don’t actually exist (yet) and that is my business here, at The New Hindenburg. I mean not to exist. At least not for some time.

Instead, I’d prefer you think of me as a kind of dark matter. You know, that stuff out in space that we have no means of detecting, but that we suppose exists. We suppose it exists because we’ve the fanciest of technologies, whose brains are far superior and inferior to ours all at the same time, and we trust these god-like machines to make our suppositions for us. With a bit of reason and a dash of silicon, the invisible, unreachable, most logic defying ideas change history. Though we have no evidence of actual dark matter, its supposed existence is simply enough.

But you shouldn’t think I have low self-esteem – you’d be missing the point. Sure, most people like to exist. Some people might even give you a sock to the face for you telling them how little they exist. It’s obviously a matter of opinion. Personally, I would return that sock to the face for being forced to claim outright ownership of my space and time. Standing in front of you, you might think you see me, but you do not. I am made of innumerable illusions caused by our grand universe, and by cute little synapses firing off inside your brain. Neither of these tell the truth, which barely exists in itself. No, I’m confident and content in my non-existence. In fact, I'm proud of it. Existence is stability, among too many other nouns to list here. Without existence we’d have no identity. This is the point.

Your suppositions are enough for the time being. Though you will feel my presence, you will never know me. There is beauty, not indifference, in this disconnection.

So begins my journey at the New Hindenburg. I beg you bear with me in my non-existences.
Thanks to Joel for encouraging me to take part in the ongoing discoveries of this blog.

Jeff the Pen

No comments: