Monday, September 8, 2008

Welcome to The Future!

Que sera, sera
Whatever we'll be we'll be
The future's not ours to see
Que sera, sera

I went to the Doctor today for routine maintenance. He was a routine Doctor, save for taking his loafers off as he questioned me. The questions were typical, ranging from the typical to the expected. I told him I didn't smoke cigarettes, of various exploits, and other orthodox answers expected from a college student. I did my best to be honest and respectful of the wealth of knowledge he accumulated during eight years of med school.

I was me. He was a doctor. He told me "it sounds like you're hanging out with the wrong crowd."

The wrong crowd? Never. Not in a million years. Not in sixty five million years. I would hang out with these people even with the threat of Tyrannosaurus Rex attack looming barely above us all. We'd stop our laughter and scatter in 8-10 different directions.

There is something wrong. Something missing. However, the conveniences of Modern Friendship are not to blame. I wanted to tell Doc about the wretched cesspool that is rapidly becoming the average existence. There is little palpable desire to learn, even less to work. We all strive for constant satisfaction, becoming weaker and weaker by the moment.

We get bored. We look for easy amusement. I've watched 13 hours of football in the past 48 hours because I care about it for some obtuse reason. Every down has been rehashed and analyzed by my feeble mind. I don't understand how or why I'm willing to commit so much. Even to Sports, something I love without resistance, I fail at paying attention.

The problem at hand isn't our youth. It's the culture created. With things getting faster and faster by the day, it is becoming more difficult to function, to create, to think. I've thought of the football, the basketball, the foibles, and felt a distinct sense of disgust. Not at myself, it's all felt so natural and wonderful. TO WIT: These gridiron gladiators are there for my worship! What a lucky boy am I!

Something is missing, at least I think. I don't believe evolution could have ever accounted for the current state of affairs. Back in the day, my Mom could rest easy after giving birth to a gigantic male heir. That ain't the case. We've got constant entertainment, food from around the globe at our fingertips, and even microwaves. With all these conveniences, the seemingly natural amenities, we cannot believe they are natural. Something weird is happening to each and everyone of us. The brain becomes shorted. The life certifiably mitigated.

Fuck it. Let's do something!

Nevermind. I gots to go watch TV.

1 comment:

Jeff the Pen said...

I'm too obviously a victim of such malaise. Let's talk soon, and get to work.